1 February 2018
Dear PEN Int’l, Writers for Peace Committee, and sister PEN Centres,
Despite all odds, all PEN members insist on wishing -and working for- a year of justice and peace, free of hatred and violence.
We take the liberty of initiating a joint project that will invite children to create paintings related to peace. Last year the Nazım Hikmet Foundation and PEN Turkey joined forces for this project.
We are happy to invite all PEN Centres to encourage the children to whom they have access. We hope that PEN Int’l Board will decide to support the project by encouraging participation, as will the WfPC.
The most popular poem of the Turkish Poet Nazım Hikmet (1902-1963) is “Kız Çocuğu” -“The Little Girl”, which has been translated into so many languages. It is a poem against war.
We would like to invite the children of the world to read it and express their feelings and thoughts by drawing or painting.
1) Children participating should be between 7-14 years old.
2) The artworks may be in black and white or in color; using crayons or watercolors, acrylic or oils on paper.
3) They should be on paper or cardboard of 50 cm. x 70 cm.
4) We ask each PEN Centre to send PEN Turkey 10 pictures by June 1st, 2018.
5) All the pictures will be displayed under the title “Children’s Peace” as of 15 January 2019, the anniversary of Nazım Hikmet’s birthday. The exhibition at the Nazım Hikmet Centre of Culture and Arts in Istanbul will echo the children’s voices in war zones, while the children of the “countries at peace” will have a chance to manifest their insistence on peace in order to put an end to armed conflicts and prevent further bloodshed and suffering.
6) Some of the paintings chosen by a jury of PEN Turkey and the Nazım Hikmet Foundation will be published on a special calendar for the year 2019. All the centres that participated in the project will receive copies of that calendar.
We thank you all for your kind cooperation. In solidarity, with our best wishes,
PEN Turkey Centre
PEN Yazarlar Derneği – Istiklal Cad. No 187 Beyoğlu İş Merkezi B Blok Kat:2 Ofis: 143 Galatasaray- Istanbul. Turkey
Attached: The poem in English, French, Spanish, Italian, German, Russian, Hebrew and Arabic. Please feel free to contact Tarık Günersel <firstname.lastname@example.org>
PEN Türkiye Merkezi 1950-1980; 1988-